Friday, April 24, 2009

Monterey Bay, CA 04-24-09

Today was the last day of my class with Pamela Allen. It was a great class that I thoroughly enjoyed. As Mary pointed out, it must have been interesting because I was in class most of the time and not out pursuing my own agenda! All of the class members did a lot of work, but by the nature of the class nothing was finished. Pamela said the important part of the class is the designing and the finishing can be done at home. I need a little time to sort my pictures and label them - I hope to have the rest of the class photos on my blog tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here are some images of the wind whipped Bay today. This picture is of Asilomar State Beach. From the Conference grounds we walk through the dunes on a nice boardwalk, go under the wooden arch, cross Sunset Drive and then along the path on the right and down some stairs - and there is the beach. It is well used because it is one of the few sandy beaches around - beach walkers, surfers, dog walkers, ball tossers.... everyone who has a desire for a sandy beach. In the background on the left is the Spanish Bay resort and way out on the right is Spanish Point. There is a walking path from Monterey to the north out around the point - one of Liz Williams favorite walks.

Today the onshore wind was very strong and cold. I got out to take pictures, but first removed my hat, and I stayed close to the car.
By noon the sky was mostly clear with just a few artistic clouds blowing along.
Out on the Bay the water was choppy and the birds were pretty much grounded. The rock formations along the Bay are interesting with both sharp craggy rocks and smooth, rounded rocks which sometimes seem to be stacked by human hands. But all are arranged by the sea.
Mary and I are back at her house now and all the members of the Leakey family are in bed (Mary, Joe, Bud-the-yellow-cat, Sassy-the Sussex Spaniel). Mary told me I could sleep all day tomorrow if I want - and I may!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

liz said...

hi del
wow!! thanks for the pick's
wish i was there.
it't sure gave me a lift....
maybe next year.
liz