Sunday, April 19, 2009

Quilt by Pamela Allen - TCQC 04-19-09

"Nice Catch" Pamela Allen - Canada 2007 20"x23",

It isn't a coincidence that I am posting this quilt today. My class with Pamela at Empty Spools Seminars starts this afternoon at Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove, CA. I've wanted to take this class for a number of years and finally she is going to be at my favorite class venueand I know it will be a very exciting week. Much of Pamela's work appeals to me (this is the third of her quilts in the Collection - see 03-15-09 and 09-25-08), though I don't want to make Pamela Allen clones. I am hoping that some of her spontaneity will rub off on me and I will be a little more relaxed in my work.
Click on images to enlarge.

This closeup of the apple she is catching also shows both the hand sewn "X" quilting and the machine sewn bubbles in the background. How does she decide what to hand quilt and what to machine quilt? I have always been hesitant to mix the two techniques, but they work here.

This eye is printed on fabric, as are many eyes on Pamela's works. They always remind me of the billboard eyes in the movie "The Great Gatsby". And what fun the hair is! Even hair on the dress and the chin. And then there are the trees ...or are they cactus? ...or maybe flowers? An exciting aspect of art is the things that people read into it. I love hearing someone "interpret" a quilt I have made, coming up with things I had not seen - and sometimes still can't see! It isn't only beauty that is in the eye of the beholder.

Although I can think of a number of things this leg could express, I suspect that Pamela did this stitching to fill in the space just because she liked the way it looked. Everything doesn't have to have a deep meaning.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

I wish I was there. I would love to take a class with Pamela.

meggie said...

Lucky you, taking the class.
I agree about not everything having to have deep meaning!

jpsam said...

Oh, you will have so much fun with Pamela! She came to EBHQ in 2008. She is the best!
joan