Saturday, April 25, 2009

More Pictures from Empty Spools 04-25-09

Pamela Allen's class structure of giving an assignment with a time limit first thing in the morning is a VERY good exercise for me, because I dither and agonize and change my mind a million times. Being pressed to do SOMETHING, even if it isn't "right", is excellent training.

Pamela Allen consults on Cyndy Rymer's human figure project.

I did not get a good image of the classroom in ultimate disarray, but here is just one table. Colorful, eh? Some people are not happy unless all their fabric is folded and in some order, others just make piles and dig to their hearts content. I am one of the latter.

Pamela is an excellent teacher and a witty speaker. She is very tactful with her students, but guides them to make appropriate changes as they work. I am looking forward to another class with her. She won't be teaching at Asilomar next year, but perhaps in 2011.

Here are two of the projects I worked on. The top is for the black & white lesson - I'm thinking it would make a good triptych someday. The bottom project is for the human figure assignment. It is a little rough in this picture, but it will improve and have a funny story with it.

I need to clarify who did some of the pieces in my pictures, so I will send out some e-mails and hope to post all of the images in an album on Monday after I arrive home.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

meggie said...

I enjoyed seeing these pics. I am sure your second piece will be some comment on your hats? Oh the fun you must have in these classes.

lindainbelgium said...

when I first saw the black and white/hats photo, I thought it was all for one very vertical piece--and it works! Is your figure wearing 6 hats at once? If so, I love the Del-Parallel to the Princess & the Pea tale. Our son used to put on 6 or 7 t-shirts so he could show off all the pics of his superhero heros by lifting one after the other for any audience he could find. And, thank you for yet another lovely nostalgic trip back to Asilomar/Monterey/PG. -- Linda C in back to gray Belgium (after a lovely sunny week).

Loretta said...

Your little quilt projects are wonderful. Working in B/W is an exciting challenge and your piece is very nice. The different textures of fabric design are certainly emphasized when using B/W. Wonderful. Love the hats and await the story attached! You've placed Pam on my list of must classes to take. Thank you.