Sunday, June 21, 2009

Elizabeth Barton Quilt in TCQC 06-21-09

"The Gatehouse" Elizabeth Barton 2004 37.5"W x 24.5"L

This quilt was on Elizabeth's website and it 'spoke' to me loud and clear. The colors are so very appealing - red-orange, golden yellow, several greens and teal. And that wonderful slatted fence, which I think must be a silk screen as I have seen it in other quilts she has made.

She told me that it was a larger quilt that didn't work, so she trimmed huge strips off the sides - until it satisfied her. They also satisfied lucky me. Later, perhaps when I was in Georgia to take a class with her, she gave me one of the strips she cut off. When I show the quilt to a group I think it is educational to also show the 'discard'. We sometimes think that the entire quilt that we make must stay that way, however, I know of at least half a dozen quilt makers who have reduced the size of quilts, even after they are quilted. And in every case, I agree with the artist - a little judicious trimming has improved the quilt.

I have shown you three of Elizabeth's quilts from the Collection and there is one left that I will present some other week. I surely do covet several that are on her website, but in this down economy I just can't buy any of them. A sad situation.

4 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Oh my--how gorgeous! I am totally in love with this piece. You are lucky, indeed!

June said...

Ah, definitely now this is my favorite (I don't think I saw it before. I'm with Terry -- you are lucky indeed!

meggie said...

Beautiful! Very interesting to learn of the trimming too.

Rayna said...

I love Elizabth's work and her intelligent, pithy blog and am looking forward to seeing her at QBL n July.

True, sometimes we just need to crop or cut and we have a better piece. It's scary,though.

R.