Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On June 4 I was in San Juan Bautista, CA 06-23-09

When I took my quick trip up to Philomath, Oregon, (June 4 - 8) I stopped along the way to take pictures of plants and flowers, as usual. But I couldn't get them on my blog because there was so much else going on. Here is a look back at a few of them - in two posts because I still haven't figured out how to add extras to the first four. Maybe I should try it on my old desktop. I discovered that it will automatically make hyperlinks, whereas this laptop will not. Something is set wrong, I guess, I just can't figure out what. I suppose I could call the Geek Squad and see if one of those smart geeks has an answer.

Among the crops grown in the area around Gilroy, San Juan Bautista and Hollister are plants grown for seed. We think that is why this field of garlic is left to go to seed.
It was really quite beautiful with the grey-green foliage and the round seed heads sticking up above those strap like leaves. The bit of mustard in the foreground is a nice touch.
This is a good plant to memorize. Three leaves together w/scalloped edges and this lovely burgundy color - POISON OAK. It does turn lovely autumn colors when the temperatures go down in the fall. Unfortunately, some people unknowing collect the branches for indoor arrangements. Even the slightest exposure can make some people very ill, in addition to the horrible itching.


Here is a closer look at those nice shining leaves and a few of the berries in the background. If someone is burning a field and there is poison oak in the fire, the smoke can make some people terribly ill when they just breath the smoke. Don't ask how I know!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

Good information, and you can zoom the Poison Oak picture up to get a very close look! Whe W's have it in the woods near their house.

Christine Thresh said...

Oh, I know. Long ago my family cleared out some poison oak and my father threw it on a bonfire. We all suffered from terrible itchy skin all over our bodies for at least a week. We could not open our eyes fully for days.

Sherry said...

I have never seen poison oak. That is very informative. I love the picture of the little guy.

meggie said...

I had never seen poison oak either. I don't even know if it grows here in OZ. Oleander is another plant that is extremely poisonous, & a family died from the fumes when they burnt it in their fireplace overnight. I don't think it causes any itches though.