Friday, June 26, 2009

A Gift Quilt 06-25-09

When I discovered that I could not go to the SAQA conference I called my friend Ruth Powers and with regret told her. We had been planning this for two years and it was the day before I was to leave for a road trip to Kansas and on to Ohio. Too late to back out of the conference, so Ruth and I started looking for someone who would take my place. Several people contacted Ruth and checked their schedules, ultimately deciding that they could not work the conference into their lives on such short notice. Ruth finally connected with Robin Robboy of Georgia, a quiltmaker who neither of us knew, but she could spare three days at the end of the week and slip away from her everyday life. They met in Athens, roomed together, shared the experience of being there with all those like-minded people and attended the opening of Quilt National -2009. It sounds like they had a lovely time. Although I was unhappy about not being there, it was gratifying to know that someone was having the experience in my place. Robin says that she learned so much, met so many people and was blown away by the QN quilts. That was even more gratifying. She doesn't owe me anything, but she made this One-foot square quilt, just for me, as a thank-you. It will fit right in with my expanding collection of 12" x 12" quilts - maybe I will soon have enough to go around a room, all at the same level - bet they would look great in a gallery.
So, here is an online Thank You to Robin, I will enjoy her quilt for the rest of my days, while she only had three days at the conference - hardly seems fair!





There are now quilts named "Walk in the Woods", "Walks in the Woods" and "A Walk in the Forest" quilts in the TCQC. I suppose everyone knows I love trees and there are many tree quilts in the Collection. And bound to be many more.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

meggie said...

What a lovely appreciation, & thankyou! It is a lovely quilt, & weel deserved Del.

Corky said...

What a nice addition to the collection with such a great story.

I'm hoping you'll be able to make the trip for QN 2011.

Quiltrobin said...

Del, I'm so glad you like my little quilt. Enjoy!