Friday, July 17, 2009

Lightning 07-16-09

Lightning is not something we have much of here in SCalifornia. In the mountains and in the desert all around us, but here on the coast it is a rare event. Back in 2003 I was working on a series of small wall quilts I called "Weather or Not" and one of them was going to be Lightning. I went online and looked for an image for inspiration, but didn't have much luck. Could be I wasn't very good at searching, but also there just weren't that many lightning pictures available online. Not compared to the millions we can access today.

I wish I had access then to this fabulous shot by Paul Cichocki taken in July 2006 in Las Vegas, which gets terrific thunder/lightning storms during the summer. Even though I'm sure it was hot there, the image has the cold, sharp, menacing aspect I was looking for. When I look at this picture I can almost feel the crackling in the air.

I used about a half a dozen pictures to do my sketch and came up with this wall quilt. It is much more 'gentle' than what I intended and I think I went overboard with the skinny subsidiary cracks. They look more like falling fireworks than part of the lightning. I know I will never make another quilt w/lightning, so I must be happy with this one. Live and learn, eh?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Loret said...

Wonderful idea! Perhaps a few small postcards to revisit your skies with a few new ideas! Enjoy...

Christine Thresh said...

I think your lightning quilt is spectacular.

Rayna said...

There is something akin to fireworks with lightning. It's exciting - as long as you are inside and not on the phone!
this is a wonderful piece that captures it perfectly!
R.

Meggie said...

I think you captured the lightning rather well.