Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sylvia Einstein quilt from TCQC 07-12-09

"Summer Swim" Sylvia Einstein 2006 6"W x 4"L

You may remember that I have previously shown several of Sylvia's quilts: http://delquilts.blogspot.com/2009/03/visiting-empty-spools-03-06-09.html
(Plus a great picture of Sylvia)
She has such a unerring eye for color and motion and loves using bold commercial fabric in her designs. She is very quiet as a teacher, but gets around to everyone in the class as she is needed. She has become a good friend over the past eighteen years.
This fiber art postcard was made when she and I were both staying with Mary Leakey in San Juan Bautista one year. I was (as usual) really pushing the line to finish cards due immediately and we three were in Mary's studio playing with her fabric scraps. Sylvia put together three cards "lickety-split" while I was still futzing around. Mary was working on something else. I liked this little piece so much I offered to buy it, however, we ended up swapping cards. We then went on to Empty Spools/Asilomar where I took Sylvia's class and finished the very first quilt top I have ever done in a class at Empty Spools. I never go with the idea of completing anything, but to learn new techniques and design solutions. Sylvia deserves a gold star for getting anything complete out of me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: