Friday, July 17, 2009

"Stacked Bowls" from 2002 07-17-09

In the constant and very slow process of clearing out and rearranging things in my house I emptied a bureau drawer containing many small quilts. Some are part of the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection and some are pieces I made in past years. I think I will share some of them on my blog. Maybe I could do it on Fridays and call it "Fearless Friday"!

"Stacked Bowls" Del Thomas 2002 10"W x 12"L
This is a very small quilt made for "Changing Perceptions: Small Works by Kansas Art Quilters", an exhibit that showed in Kansas during 2002 and at Quilt Festival - Chicago in 2003.
The artist's statement read: "A bowl is such an ordinary thing, but present in the lives of the majority of people around the world. This quilt is part of a series using bowls in the imagery."
When I started it I thought it would be part of the Color Bowls series, but then decided that it didn't quite fit. Thus a new series.

The backing fabric is a drapery sample that I had in several color ways and it was just about the exact size needed. The rings for hanging were one of the exhibit requirements.

I always put a bird somewhere on each quilt I make. Could be quilted, inked, embroidered, machine stitched, part of the design, in the fabric print or any other method I can think of. After a period of years I sometimes cannot find these little "logos", but I know they are there. I talked about them previously at: http://delquilts/blogspot.com/2008/01/blog-post.html

Posted by Picasa



5 comments:

Loret said...

Del, thank you so much for sharing your quilts. Stacked Bowls is wonderful. I love the quilting on green/red quilt. I always smile when I see your work. There is a very special feeling that you impart in your work. Delightful.

Christine Thresh said...

I do love Stacked Bowls. If you posted it before, it must have been way back before I started reading your blog regularly.
Bowls is a quilt I'd love to have in "Christine's Contemporay Quilt Collection" (if there was such a thing).

Rayna said...

I really like this one, Del. It makes me feel very cheerful!

Meggie said...

I love this, love the colours too. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Laird said...

Dear Del,
Thanks for sharing this--I love the back and forth rhythm of the bowls, and I really like the back view. I thought it was another quilt with the same image done differently at first glance!
Is it for sale?

Linda Laird
Quiltart list