Sunday, July 19, 2009

Patricia Klem quilt from TCQC 07-19-09

"Triplet" Patricia Klem 1998 24"W x 28"L
Every time I look at this quilt I try to see what it is about it that makes me like it so much. Shape? Piecing? Color? Quilting? It is all the above! I believe that the bottom third is the key - the black/yellow/white with the red "arm" that reaches around the bottom coming to a point. This bottom third is a base for the top two thirds and supports the total design. At least, that is what I see.
I purchased this directly from Patricia Klem in August 1998. Her statement reads:
"This quilt was based on the rhomboid shape which was repeated in several variations. Machine pieced and machine quilted. Cotton fabrics,, cotton batting, cotton and metallic thread."
Patricia lives in Rancho Santa Fe, CA (just north of San Diego) http://www.patriciaklem.com/
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Wen Redmond said...

I see a lot of repetition in 3's. # inner squares, 3 framing squares, 3 repetitions of red. the red at the top leads your eye away and upward preventing a boxed in feeling. The colors are playful yet not overwhelming or garish. nicely done!