Thursday, October 23, 2008

More PIQF Quilts 10-22-08

Tuesday evening the drive home from Tehachapi was fast and easy, not much traffic except on the notoriously slow Hwy 395 which is only two lanes most of the way. Further north the highway widens, but I didn't drive on that part. I have no idea why I have been dragging so much the last several weeks, but I decided a day of rest wouldn't hurt and might help. So, I spent Wednesday mostly in bed - reading, napping, trying to figure out my new cell phone. By evening I felt a lot better, but I had pledged 24 hours just to rest, so I did. Now it is 2am on Thursday and I thought I would spend some time online. The pictures below are those that I tried to send on Monday evening from Tehachapi. I'll work on some more for tomorrow.
Franki Kohler was an online friend for several years before we met in person. I admire her exacting work and her dedication to learning new techniques and styles. Franki is the author of "Fast and Easy Fabric Postcards" from C&T Publ. You can see her postcard work at http://www.postmarkdart.com and www.Art2Mail.com

This is the first time I can remember seeing photos and sun prints combined and it works nicely. I like the inclusion of the checkerboard, a traditional patchwork pattern.
[Franki wrote to fill me in on these quilts.The photos down the right side are sage, frise lettuce, royal oak lettuce, estilbe. On the lower left is an image of hellebore.]

An elegant and colorful quilt in one of my favorite color combinations.
The beaded inner "border" is an inspired touch. I wish she had added what kind of leaf this is. I do not know.
[The image is a Woodwardia fern - which is very large - Franki removed about half of the leaves to make a more defined image.]

This is such a striking work. The pawpaw leaves caught my eye - there is a resemblance to chestnut leaves.

Using leaves that are not perfect makes the image more interesting.
Sorry, I missed the label on this quilt, but Sue has kindly sent this info:
"Prickly Sow Thistle, 50 x 43, 2007
I am frequently drawn to take a closer look at plants that are classified as common weeds. Prickly Sow Thistle is indeed quite prickly, but it is also a colonizer on disturbed ground, helping to prevent soil runoff, and the seeds are a favorite of finches. Cyanotypes on cotton, heliographic print on cotton, artist-painted and commercial fabric, machine stitching, hand beading."

It is Sue Reno's "Prickly Sow Thistle" showing both the leaves and flowers. Gardeners everywhere will recognize this plant as a determined garden invader. The blue/yellow/green combination grabbed my attention - it is one of my favorite color schemes. http://suereno.com/ http://suereno.blogspot.com/
I sent Sue an e-mail asking about the different terms used in regard to these quilts. Her reply:"I find "sun print" or "sun dyed" to be confusing terms--it could refer to cyanotype, prints done with Setacolor, or prints done with Inkodye. So in my personal lexicon I have adopted "heliographic" to refer to the prints I do with Setacolor transparent paints. Even so it is not completely accurate--helio means sun, and I sometimes do prints using the heat from my coal stove in winter, as it is primarily a wicking process and doesn't rely on ultraviolet light like cyanotype does. I suppose I could call them monoprints, but that conjures up other associations, so I am sticking with heliographic. I like the way it rolls off the tongue!"
And so do I! Del

Posted by Picasa

No comments: