Sunday, November 22, 2009

Charlotte Patera quilt from TCQC 11-22-09

"P.U.D. - Private Unit Development" Charlotte Patera 1994 22"W x 25"L

Commercial Cotton Fabric, cotton batting, cotton thread, polyester thread. Hand applique, machine pieced, machine quilted. This quilt has an irregular border and is photographed on a light grey background.
One of the first small quilts I purchased, this one came from the East Bay Heritage Quilters silent auction, held at their semi-annual quilt show at the Oakland Convention Center.
Everything about this quilt appealed to me, even though I have never been a fan of pink. The interesting combination of coordinated fabrics, even though none of them come from the same manufacturer, the traditional house design appliqued (instead of pieced) in a very nontraditional color. I felt very fortunate to have the highest bid - and still do.
The quilting is done w/poly thread on the top and cotton in the bobbin, and it forms sort of icicles hanging from the sashing to the bottom of each block. Very subtle and effective.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

dee said...

I really like her work. The colors are so happy and I particularly like the setting being so quirky.

Anonymous said...

Dear Del,
I'm not a pink person, either, but I really like this quilt. I like the askew setting, the applique instead of piecing, and the over/under print in the border.

Also, really like your Autumn Trellis--those are my colors! Are the small red and gold leaves appliqued over the stripes, or are they part of the print?

Keep up the good work,
Linda Laird
quiltlady@san.rr.com