Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Gum Kiosk 01-27-10

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of trying a 'Bacon-Cheese Panini' at the Corner Bakery and have become addicted! They are very good, but the crispness seems to vary at different restaurants. Those at the Brea location are perfect, at the Irvine spot on Jamboree a little less crisp and at The Block in Orange not quite crisp (and smaller)!
I had never been to The Block until I checked my GPS for a Corner Bakery in the area of Dr. Debin's office and doglegged my way around strange streets as directed. Once I found the place I felt that I was in a time warp which reminded me of the movie "Blade Runner". Something about the decor, I guess.
This is an open air shopping mall with strange light fixtures and wild colored walls. As I walked in from the parking lot the first thing I saw was this unattended kiosk with gumball machines neatly arrayed. I suppose I lead an isolated life, going to the same places all the time and not being exposed to life in the suburbs as much as someone with children or, at least, wider interests. I cannot remember when I last saw a gumball machine - many years - and this scene struck me as 'other worldly'. Especially with the be-suited couple in the background. There were LOTS of 'office' people going to lunch at the many restaurants. At the other Corner Bakerys (should that be 'bakeries' when it is part of a proper name?) I am more used to seeing people in very casual clothing, retirees and ladies-who-lunch in blue jeans. I did a lot of people watching - fascinating - and later realized that there is a courthouse and UCI medical center just across the street. Hence the business attire and the various colored 'scrubs'. I think I will go back when it is not so cold and I can sit outside on a bench and watch/photograph without being so obvious. Guess I will stop elsewhere for the panini.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Bacon Cheese panini?? I think I'm in love and I haven't even tasted one yet!

Rayna said...

We won't discuss the dubious health benefits of what sounds like a delicious confection, but I love the gumball machines. 40 years ago or so, my ex-husband and I bought a vintage gumball machine and always had it filled with gumballs. The kids loved it and we used to give them pennies to put in it.
I can't find gumballs any more, though. So the machine stays empty.