Monday, January 25, 2010

"Strip Tease I" 01-24-10

"Strip Tease I" Mary Leakey - San Juan Bautista, CA 2004 40"square
Mary and I took a Sandi Cummings class together at the Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, CA. Mary really liked the 'lattice' pattern that Sandi teaches and made a bunch of quilts using this block. This one is all decorator prints and I find the colors exciting - perhaps because it is not a palette I would use. The blocks are the same design as those in the "Autumn Trellis" quilt that I donated to the Surfside QGuild "December Fest - 2009"
After I had seen this quilt hanging in Mary's house I asked her if she would sell it to me - and she did! Beside being a visual treat the quilt has that friendship connection that makes it so much more special. I do like to get to know the makers of the quilts in the TCQC and I think it is a shame (and somewhat short sighted) that the artists don't add me to their mailing lists.
Mary doesn't have a website. But you might enjoy looking at Sandi Cummings' quilts at: http://www.sandicummings.com/
The lattice pattern is shown as "Garden Lattice" in Sandi's book written with Karen Flamme "Thinking Outside the Block: Step by Step to Dynamic Quilts" Publ: C&T 2004
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Corky said...

Mary's quilt is great. She needs a website - I'd love the opportunity to see more of her beautiful work.

Vivian Helena said...

This is a wonderful quilt, such depth. Yes, it is fun to have quilts by people that we know..