Sunday, March 14, 2010

Asilomar - 03-14-10

Yes, I am back at Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, CA, for another Empty Spools Seminar - this time with Sylvia Einstein who is teaching a very modern version of Double Wedding Ring.
Another Asilomar sunset - I am amazed at how much this image resembles the one I posted on 03-11-10. I am certain that the white streaks and the dark one that bisects one in this picture are contrails from airplanes. San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose airports could all be routing planes over this area.

"Hibiscus" Gail Sheirbon Thanks to Debbie Van Fossen for the picture of Gail with her project. Gail also wrote and said that she has been sewing the sections together, so it may be done soon.

My class this week has 17 students and is located in Hearthside (in the back of Merrill Hall). I have the same sleeping room in Pirates Den and my teacher Sylvia Einstein is just down the hall. Tomorrow the class will start cutting fabric using plastic templates for 10" blocks - we need sixteen blocks. Which doesn't seem like much, but when each piece of fabric is cut individually it will take some time to just do the cutting. When everything is cut, pinned up on the design boards and we are happy with the fabric combinations we can begin sewing. Wish me luck!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Corky said...

Have another great week. My very first Asilomar class was with Sylvia (in Hearthside) back in 1997 or so right after we moved to California. That, my friend, is where I first met you. I also remember Linda Schmidt making such a cool piece in the class and how intimidated I was by all the talent surrounding me. Man, I miss Empty Spools!

jpsam said...

I love Sylvia Einstein's work, especially the contemporary wedding ring quilt. I am so looking forward to your posts!
joan

June said...

Wishing you luck (or "rots of ruck", as we uster say:-)