Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I went to a party! 06-29-10

These are my friends Mike and Nancy Ota who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Sunday at Sam Woos restaurant in Irvine. I was delighted to attend along with at least a hundred other guests. But I am not very good at parties, I never know what to say to anyone! So, I went around taking pictures. Mike and Nancy were so busy being host and hostess that I'm sure they missed seeing most of the images that I captured. Not the greatest pictures because it was so crowded and there were lots of mirrors and shiny surfaces that fed the flash back to me. When the food service began I was at a table with five quilting ladies and their husbands, so I was able to find a few topics of conversation that I could participate in.
The food was abundant and delicious. Here the waitress is boning a steamed rock cod that was wonderfully succulent.

Here is that guy all de-boned - I passed on the eye and the tail. At the top of the picture is a platter of spicy salty shrimp - everyone was eating the entire shrimp, including head and tail, but I don't care for the texture of the shells in my mouth, so I carefully peeled mine - perfect. On the left is what remains of two platters scraped together - barbequed pork and roast duck.

I thought this dish was the best - Scallops with vegetables. And the scallops were cooked perfectly. How do they do that? They cook so quickly that I dare not glance away when they are in the pan and here the restaurant is serving them to a hundred people or more. Yummy.

This is something I have never eaten before - snow pea leaves, sort of a cross between spinach and bok choy. To the left is beef with broccoli and at the top of the picture is the scallops with vegetables (carrots, pea pods, baby corn-on-the-cob and, I think, water chestnuts).
There were fourteen courses followed by wedges of oranges that were about the sweetest, juiciest I have ever eaten. I tried to pace myself, since we each had a menu card to warn of what was to come, but I had to quit eating before the shrimp in lobster sauce was served. Guess I'll have to go back to Sam Woo's sometime to try that dish.
Everyone received a little red box containing one homemade mochi - I brought mine home to enjoy when I wasn't so full. I do love mochi in all its forms. And I had a great time!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

What a lovely meal! I remember the first time I had steamed rock cod at a Chinese restaurant in San Jose. They had live fish swimming in big aquariums. They pulled the fish out of the water, took him to the kitchen and soon, he was on our plates - delish!

Patty ♣ said...

That was interesting Del! I will have to talk with Nancy. We were both married about the same time and have made it to 50 years! It sounds like an enormous amount of good food. loved seeing the pictures!!

June said...

Oh my. Oh my. Oh my.

Jer and I have three years and a few months to go before our 50th. Jan threw us a party (at my insistence) on our 40th. I don't know what will happen on the 50th. We might have to hide out in Prineville or some such.

I know we can't manage this kind of spree:-) But you did very well indeed!

Rayna said...

What gorgeous food! And what a beautiful couple who, by the looks of them, must have been married when they were 12.

Mochi? don't know what those are.