Friday, July 2, 2010

Orangey-Yellow flowers 07-02-10

Since Corky is here we must go for a walk at least once a day. That is about all I can manage lately. It was too hot still at 4pm, so we waited until about 7:30 and it was just perfect. He was a happy little dog and trotted along like a dog half his age - he will be 14 the end of July. Thanks to the acupuncture every three weeks and regular medications it is hard to believe he is so 'aged'. The worst thing, of course, is that he cannot hear at all. Every now and then a very loud noise will make him turn and look, but it isn't consistent, so it must have something to do with the frequency of the noise. Clapping hands very loudly will sometimes attract his attention, but with my arthritis I can't clap at all, so I must walk up to him and touch him or be in his field of view to attract his attention. We struggle, but we manage.


These unusual flowers are growing in a neighbor's yard. I have the feeling that I used to know what they are, but my ageing brain has lost the name.

The buds are little papery balls and as the flowers get older the bottom row of petals folds back so that they resemble little fairies. See the one in the middle?

I wonder about those few very yellow leaves - they add an extra touch of mystery! The plants are quite tall - this one is about three feet. Please let me know if you can identify this plant.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

Looks like Golden Columbine. If you google that, you will find flowers that look like this.

Del said...

Not columbine, Gerrie. The flowers are in clusters and each is less than half inch across. Also the foliage is wrong - columbine has soft lobed leaves, these are long thin leaves that grow opposite on the stem. Thanks for trying! Del

Rayna said...

I have no clue but thank you for these beautiful photos - you have the most amazing and exotic plants in your neighborhood. And all that SUN to make them bloom. Ahhhhh.

Re: Corky - with all of his ailments, he takes care of you very nicely and you're there for him, too.
I think he must love you as much as you love him.

June said...

Clivia? Although I think that's shade plant. Hope you find out and let us know:-)

Del said...

Nope, not Clivia. You can see that at: http://delquilts.blogspot.com/2009/04/wordless-wednesday-clivia-04-15-09.html
When I know the name I'll post it. Del

Gerrie said...

Asclepias tuberosa also known as butterfly weed?

Del said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Del said...

Hurrah for Gerrie! The minute I read her comment my brain said, "Well, I knew THAT!" But since my brain and I are not communicating I didn't know it until I read the word. Thanks, Gerrie in Portland.

By the way, I like the photo ID! Del

Meggie said...

I have no idea, but they are very beautiful! A 'Free Treat' indeed!
Bless Corky.
My GP told me today, of the death of her little male Bichon Frise, the night before her Daughter's wedding. I cried, as I have known of this little dog for 12 years now. I felt I knew him!