Sunday, June 27, 2010

Canadian Geese 06-26-10

Bird populations are constantly shifting, so one never knows what they might see when out bird watching. I rarely "watch" these days, I guess I am a "bird looker". One spot that yields changing species is the Anaheim Lakes area just behind my favorite Starbuck's where the parking lot is separated from the lake by a chain link fence. I can nose into fence and enjoy my latte whilst looking with my binoculars and the birds are not frightened as long as I don't approach the fence. This flock of geese is local, but they aren't here year round. Right now they have growing chicks so they are hanging around most days.
This fluffy little guy/gal had a nice shady spot to himself and he is surrounded by wild mustard in bloom. His parent was nearby keeping track of everything moving around the area.

This gaggle of adults was preening and sunning by the water. I don't know of a way to tell the sexes apart, but I understand that all the adults take turns keeping track of all of the chicks. To me this looks like a group of guys just loafing while someone else keeps watch.

This picture intrigues me - guess it is the shade to bright sun contrast. There are several ages of young being taken on a stroll by two adults. They didn't go far before they all sat down again in the shade. It was in the high 80s on this day. Currently the days are in the mid-seventies and very pleasant.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

That fluffy, gray little one is so cute!! We have geese that make there temporary home at our lake park. I always wonder what they do when the 4th of July fireworks display goes off? I can't imagine the distress!! But we are usually there at the lake and we don't see them...

Patty ♣ said...

Ouuu! "their temporary home!" I can not believe I did that!

Unknown said...

Ah Del. I've loved Canada Geese since the 70's. My Eex and I were given a Benjamin Chee Chee print as a wedding present. (needless to say, I don't have it anymore). I've been thinking,on and off, that I should make a Benjamin Chee Chee wall quilt at some time!

Hugz