Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Being sick 10-13-10

This has been one long hard year of being an "invalid"! Well, not completely an invalid - it just seems like most of the time. I brought a cold home with me early in December of last year and started the year with bronchitis and now it is October and I have it again. I had forgotten that Levaquin (an antibiotic) gave me insomnia previously, so I popped my one-a-day dose about 9pm. Later I went to sleep, but woke up in about 45 minutes and couldn't go back to sleep - no matter which 'go-to-sleep' tricks I tried. I started the day at 6am with only a couple hours sleep, which isn't enough for me. Corky went with me to the Surfside Quilters Guild meeting, he sat in his stroller and let everyone pet him and admire him and praise him. SUCH a good dog. When I went off to do one of my little sideline jobs he would be patient to a point, then I would hear just one piercing bark telling me "get back here, Auntie Del". After a few minutes I would go off again and pretty soon there would be another bark. However, when the meeting started he just curled up in his stroller and went to sleep until everyone started milling around again. He can't hear anything, so his sleep is very peaceful. I thought that once home I could take a long nap, but the computer guru called and wanted to pick up my computers and take them away until Saturday to (hopefully) get them to work correctly. I told him I needed to keep one of the three laptops, so I am currently working on the hateful Fujitsu. I was too tired and grumpy to face my Blog last evening. Sorry.
As I have said previously, my standard treatment for trying to get well is "rest in bed, drink plenty of fluids.... yada, yada, yada". The trouble is that life gets in the way. However, I did lots of resting in the last week and a half, along with a lot of reading. Here is one I recommend:

I have been reading Molly's Blog http://www.orangette.com/ for quite a long time - sometime in 2005. I'm not sure, but I think all of the recipes in this memoir/cookbook first appeared the Blog. I have only tried a few of them - I don't cook much just for me and I haven't entertained in years. It has been fortunate that I have been resting and have Corky's company this past week or I would have zipped out to the market for ingredients. Too many wonderful sounding dishes to choose just one, but if you forced me I would admit that I will try custard-filled corn bread first. Her memoir is happy, sad, funny and serious. Check out her Blog and, better yet, buy her book! If I ever go to Seattle again I will dine at her restaurant, Delancey.

Corky goes home tomorrow. And all my friends in the Pacific Grove area will be going to PIQF. Boo Hoo!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

So discouraging and disheartening to be sick and have it drag on and on. I cannot take decongestants of any kind because they give me such bad insomnia and I have found, over the years, that one gets no sympathy or understanding about that. People just think you ought to take the medicine and get better, but for me chronic insomnia is worse than the illness. Ugh. Feel better soon.