Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Four Dwellings" from April 2005 02-02-11

While looking through pictures of quilts I have made in the past I find that I made quite a few quilts in 2004 and 2005.   What happened to me?  I haven't done any quilt making that amounts to anything for several years.  I DO have a zillion unfinished projects, all of which I would like to finish.  I'm in a slump.

I am a long time member of Kansas Art Quilters and participated for several years in their projects to make quilts for the Fabri-Quilt fabric booth at Spring Quilt Market.  Fabri-Quilt provided a selection of their newest fabric lines and the members chose what they wished to use and created a quilt either using a pattern or an original design.  Since I couldn't go to Kansas to choose the KAQ member who was in charge sent me a fabric selection.  All the fabrics in this quilt are from Fabri-Quilt.

 
"Four Dwellings"  Del Thomas  April 2005  24"W x24"L 
Commercial Cotton Fabrics (Fabri-Quilt), machine pieced, machine quilted.

Original design based on making units using improvisational piecing and arranging them on a design board.  The people are there because one of the fabrics had those polka dots that looked like heads.
  On the right side of this image you can see the fused binding that I 'invented' at the end if the 1990s.  It is one of those things that several people in several different areas invented at about the same time.  I like to fringe the edge of the binding fabric and in this case I did a double binding with an olive green fabric under the matching blue fabric. 
 
 
When it came finding a backing fabric I lucked out with this Fabri-Quilt print that was in my fabric library.  However, I had cut into it previously, so I pieced in some strips of fabric left from the front.  There is a bird in the quilting, but I don't remember where.  This quilt is part of a private collection.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Susan Turney said...

I love this quilt!!! The fabrics are beautiful and I love the houses and people. I'm sure it's cherished by whoever owns it!!!

Rayna said...

I love it, too. It is free and happy and it reminds me of the quilt I am making for Emma - it has a sense of joy and I suspect the lucky owner fees happy whenever he/she looks at it.