Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Underview II" from 2005 Del Thomas 01-03-11

In 2003 I took an Empty Spools class at Asilomar with Sue Benner.  Sue is a good teacher and I feel I learned some things from her, but the week was very distressing for me. I didn't have much to show from the class.  But I did have a bunch of leftover fused scraps in a zip lock bag and in 2005 I finally did something with them.  This is the second of two quilts made from that bag. 

"Underview II"  Del Thomas  2005  17"W x 17"L 
Fabrics: cotton, polyester, silk, rayon.   Fused.  Machine Quilting.
Everything is fused and the quilting is in-the-ditch. 

 
Sue's method was to start with the back and batting fused together, then laying the already fused fabrics on the batting on the front.  They are overlapped and sometimes covered up with other fabrics until the design you want has developed.   I thought it was appropriate to have the under view of a bird on the back of the quilt - it is drawn with black fabric marker.  There is no binding, instead I used Sue's method of zig-zagging the edge, going around numerous times. 
Thanks to Martha for pointing out that the bird is right in the middle of the back of "Four Dwellings", yesterday's quilt.  Guess I was blinded by all those squares.   
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Vivika said...

Del, I love your quilt! I saw this on my RSS feed and thought, wow! who made that??? Gorgeous, and it belongs in the TCQC with the best of them.

Gerrie said...

I agree with Vivika ! A very nice piece - I love the pop of color you get behind that grid.

Loretta said...

Your quilts are delightful! Your use of color and design is very special. Thank you for sharing.

Loretta said...

Your quilts are delightful! Your use of color and design is very special. Thank you for sharing.

June said...

Del,

"Underview II" is quite splendid. It's interesting that the process initially made you uncomfortable. You might ask yourself what makes you "comfortable" now and whether that's what you'd like to pursue right. Or whether being pushed, challenged (and perhaps excited) is what your spirit yearns for.

These kind of questions have answers that are always individual and almost always dependent upon where you are at any given time period. Your research here makes me see, as it has others, why you are such a successful collector. But that isn't really the aim of this research for you -- you started this study to see if "inspiration" can follow.

I'm discovering things about myself, such as my ongoing physical limitations (I'm referring to dyeing in particular) that will have an effect on my future textile work. Sue's processes might not have appealed in 2005 but they might appeal more now, just because of physical changes. Or not, depending.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, of course, and delete is a good option.

I like your bird, and it could easily be machine embroidered with Sue's method. In fact, something like this might turn out to be a great quilted "front" of the art.

Rayna said...

This is wonderful and full of energy and movement, Del. I know what a good teacher Sue is, although I have never taken a class with her. However, I have taught in the next classroom from her and know what goes on.

I can't imagine fusing large pieces of fabric - fusing has just never been my "thing" - I use it in emergencies. But maybe one of these days, inspired by what you've done here, I'll try it.