Sunday, September 28, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 09-28-08

For thirty years (give or take a year) I have worn hats. I grew up in a time when ladies hats were still popular and I always liked them. Sometime in the 70s I was diagnosed with Rosacea, a facial skin condition that is aggravated by sunlight. I started wearing hats when I was outside, but when I went somewhere I would take them off and then forget them. Ultimately, I had hats all over town. So, I decided that I would wear a hat ALL of the time, day or night, outdoors or in. That way I wouldn't be losing my hats all the time. As time went by, that turned out to be a good idea because ladies hats for sale are few and far between and I am always on the hunt to replace some of my worn out hats. I'd hate to be losing any. Because of my be-hatted status I have been gifted with several hat quilts and purchased these two.

"Lowanda Does Hollywood" Jean Ray Laury 2001 30.5W x 33.5L

There is a striking resemblance between Lowanda and myself, but Jean Ray did not use me as a model, even though we have known each other for years. In this quilt Jean has used many of the techniques she has taught over the years -- silk screen printing, Thermofax printing, hand drawing, hand painting, foiling, piecing and machine quilting.

A very special quilt for me, made by an artist I have always respected.

"Mad Hattery" 1999 41.5" square
Pamela Jenner, Barbara Cannon, Michele Lecrivain of Santa Clarita, CA
This is a whole cloth quilt with the design applied with permanent fabric pens and markers, crayons, and fabric paint. Machine pieced and quilted. I bought it at an auction to raise money for Breast Cancer Research. I was never able to locate any of the makers to ask further questions or to tell them I had purchased the quilt. I am always interested in connecting modern art quilts to the quilting traditions of the past - what a long journey it has been for whole cloth quilts over the last 200+ years.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I love hats! I don't wear them usually. Sun hats do I wear. When I was young I had hats for church, and of course I loved cow-girl hats, still do! Ü
I love the ladies, and the other hat quilt is very fun too!

Patty ♣ said...

Woops! Sun hats I do wear...

meggie said...

My daughter suffers from Rosacea too. I wish she could afford the Specilaist, but says she cant. I have warned her about the sun, but she forgets to wear hats! Now I see it has spread to her chest- from sun, I suspect.

Corky said...

Del, I agree that Jean's hat ladies do bear a resemblance to you. I'm not a hat person at all. I used to fight my mother on a regular basis because I refused to wear a hat in the Michigan winters.