Tuesday, May 31, 2011

On the Road - Santa Rosa, NM - Holbrook, AZ 05-31-11

When I woke up in the wee hours this morning this truck was parked right outside my second floor window - if it had been any closer I could have just stepped out on its roof.  I Googled Puratos, just curious to see what a company with such an elegant truck had to offer. 

This is about a 10am view of the view along I-40 in New Mexico.  Not a lot to look at.


And then there are a few juniper trees.


And more of the same, with more distant trees.  It is a rather uninteresting offering, but then there is all that sky!


I stopped in Albuquerque to find a USPost Office or a FedEx so I could mail a package - I found FedEx first and also a Starbuck's near the University..  I've always been impressed with the adobe colored cement used in the abutments and overpasses and ...  Very distinctive.
They have also introduced various outdoor art related to the local culture.  These two sculptures have the designs cut all the way through and appear to be wired for night viewing also.  They are along an on ramp to I-40.
Forty or more years ago when I first traveled extensively in the Southwest there was a lot more cavalier attitude to what happen when the road was under construction.  In NMexico and, to some extent, in AZ they just ran a grader around the affected area and one drove on dirty, rocks, mud or whatever popped up.   The "modern" way is not a lot better.  I felt as though there wouldn't be enough space for me to get through as this detour off the road become more and more narrow.  But the big trucks fit, so surely must I.


 
The yellow line on the left is normally the line marking the shoulder and just to the right of that is a strip of those teeth shuddering ridges meant to awaken drowsy drivers.   To avoid those I was right on the white line and feared I would scrap the guard-rail.  The speed limit said 55 - HA!  I was going about 35 and the trucker behind me was probably cursing me out.  I don't get scared whilst driving usually, but this raised my heart rate a bit.  


 
Soon after Albuquerque the highway rose up even higher and rock mesas and just piles appeared.  Thankfully, there was little wind, but lots of traffic in stretches, more than I have seen on this entire trip except for the Denver area.   I drove on to Holbrook, AZ, where I have stayed before.  I had hoped to do a marathon drive and be in Lake Havasu City tonight, but I only drove 363 miles today.  I seem to run out of energy very easily.  My back aches, my butt aches, my hands hurt - I have to stop somewhere and walk around, doing some squats and stretches. I don't know if the car seat has something to do with it or not.  It is probably just my ageing body.  I have only been in motel pools three times along the way and don't think it is very helpful.  First of all the pools are not hot enough, and secondly, at five feet they are not deep enough for the most helpful exercises which require floating vertically in the water.  Additionally, there is no railing to hang onto to do the squats and jumping jacks and "scissors" (or whatever the therapists call that).  So, I have done what I can, including just "water walking" and then spent a bit of time in the hot tub/jacuzzi.  I'll be glad to get home just so I can go to aqua therapy! 
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Beverly said...

Drive safe and take your time. Love that photo of the freeway ramps!

Christine Thresh said...

That overpasses photo was worth stopping for. So unusual -- not our usual freeway gray cement.
I wonder if you sing in your car as you drive along those boring roads.

Del said...

I sing, I shout, I make funny noises, I tell people who annoy me just what I think of them, I recite poetry (not that I can remember much anymore) and, sometimes, I talk to my late husband. I like to point out things he would have noticed or especially enjoyed. Sometimes I talk to him about the times we were certain places previously. I have three books on tape with me and I haven't listened to any of them. I find they distract me from the scenery, which I find almost endlessly fascinating. Del

Patty ♣ said...

Lets just face it Del! YOU ARE COOL! You take us places, show us beauty, help us to learn something new, and make us laugh and cry...COOL! Hope you stay safe! ♥

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Sounds like you and Ruth traveled the road the we just traveled on our return from Montana. Last year we came back through Albuquerque and I thought their 'highway' art was exquisite. I especially liked the turquoise and 'almost adobe' colored overpasses and retaining walls. You two must have had a wonderful trip!!

Gwynette
Quilting in the Ozarks