Thursday, June 2, 2011

Finally - Flowers! 06-02-11

I don't think I have been on a Road Trip anytime of year or any place that I didn't see more wildflowers than I have seen this year.  Not far west of Flagstaff I started seeing these thistles along the road, so when I found an exit that seemed completely wild I pulled off to take some pictures.  There weren't a lot of other flowers, mostly thistles.  One picture that is not here is globe mallow with its bright orange flowers - either the wind or my breathing made it too out of focus to present.  

Somewhat scrawny thistles that are near the end of their blooming period.


Maybe half a dozen small daisy plants, but this overall image is so lovely.  I particularly like the curly grey stuff at the upper left - haven't a clue what it is.


There were just a few tragopogons or salsify plants. They look like enormous dandelions when they go to seed.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsify 


Wild forget-me-nots were very unassuming, hiding under a few juniper bushes.


What a shape!  This is probably a tragopogon after the seeds have flown.

And then on westward to Lake Havasu City where there are a lot of plants in bloom.  Unfortunately the ocotillo are just about over and I couldn't find a good one to photograph. The plants below are all landscape varieties.


Blooming palm trees are rather dainty looking despite the angular leaves with their prickles.


All over town the Mexican Bird of Paradise are blooming.  It is a very common landscape plant with pyramid shaped flower heads that are 9 to 12 inches long.  This one is in Corky's backyard. 


Before they open each bud looks like a round red berry.  Look at the lovely "tails" hanging down.


 
The foliage is similar to the jacaranda, although I don't think they are related.  I have tried growing them in Placentia, but they only last a few years and then turn up their toes and die.

I am packed and ready to go in the morning.  I'm going to swing over through Tehachapi to have lunch with Mable Huseby from Washington State.  She and Mac are visiting their daughter and family for a couple weeks.  Afterward I will drive home to Placentia.  At least I did my laundry today - just have to face the big box of mail on Saturday.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

dee said...

Hi Del,
I'm happy you're nearly home safely. Your trip looks like it was a great experience. Thanks for taking us along. Such fun to see these places I've never been to.