Monday, February 12, 2018

On the east edge of Tucson 01-09-18 Posted 02-12-18

The desert around Tucson is very different than the Mojave which I have seen a lot of driving through to Lake Havasu City and across both I-40 and I-15.  Most of the plantings around the ranch are native to the area.  I expected to see more birds, but though they sang in the early morning I only saw the usual "suspects" - English sparrows, blackbirds, crows, dove, and ravens.  Of course, I wasn't out there at the crack of dawn with my binoculars, mostly I was in bed until 7:30am or so and then had to rush to breakfast and be in the classroom at 9am.  Next time I make a trip to Tucson, and I imagine I will some day, I will plan on some bird searching. 

Palo Verde trees have this very green bark and really stand out against the drab desert.  An ocotillo grows on the left of the image. 

The top of the Palo Verde against the oh-so-blue-sky. 


This is a stock photo of a Palo Verde tree in bloom - just to show how spendiforous they are. 


This is the view from my front patio showing the density of the Saguaros. 

This Raven was very taken with me and followed me for a while from tree to tree. 
Screeching all the way, of course.

When we were out looking for landscapes we thought we could create from our own picture, I took half a dozen pictures of this agave from different angles.  It is beautiful. 

But in the end, I decided on the more complex image I chose for my 30-minute project.   Might try this view some day.   Love the soft colors. 

In all the public buildings there were wreaths and swags and arrangements using native desert "finds".  I had to ask what this wreath was made from.  They are the mud nests that birds make in holes in the Saguaro cactus.

And a close-up view. 

The night sky was amazing with all the trillions of stars and planets.  I couldn't get a picture of them, but like this stormy evening view.  The lighted kiosk is info for guests, especially about the spa treatments.  Too steep for my pocketbook. 

Sometimes I take a picture of myself just to prove I was there!  This one was with the lamplight in the room and myself reflected in the large mirror. 

 
There are a few none rustic views.  This is the main lawn, around which the classrooms, pub, dining hall, and other public buildings are located.  See the horse corral on the far right and the building directly in the middle is the classroom building. 

Don't how how old these two might be, but they are magnificent towering maybe 50 feet up in that blue, blue sky. 
#   #   #






3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I saw a roadrunner when I was there which was exciting. We saw a few coyotes also, which is why you couldn't bring your dog, well, the rattlers were another reason. There were a lot of foreign visitors, and they remarked on how good the coyotes looked. We told them they were "show coyotes". Paul MacCartney and his wife Linda had stayed there the year before us.

Monica Shafer said...

There is a place near Green Valley, South of Tuscon, in the hills to the east, where birds come on their migratory route. Birdwatchers from all over come to see them. I wish I could remember the name of the place. My in-laws lived there for many years, and during our visits we would see quail, roadrunner, rattlesnacks and javalinas. Pecans are grown there, so we would take big bags full of them home with us. The area is completely different than the Mojave desert. There's an artist's colony South of Tuscon. I'll tell you the name of it when I remember. Lol! #agingbrain

Loretta said...

I think the desert is a most beautiful place...hot and dry but somehow comfortable! Seems odd to me that a place so stark is comfortable to me!
The cacti are interesting to look at and so very interesting when you find out what a difficult time they have surviving in such a stark environment and when in bloom they are magnificent! Thanks so much for sharing.