Sunday, February 11, 2018

Sue Benner class in AZ Page #3 02-10-18

Here are some more photos of design boards from the Sue Benner Class in Tucson, AZ, Jan 7 - 12, 2018.
I missed this one of Nancy Robins pieces yesterday.  This is her 30-min project. 


Del Thomas first of three 6"x9" studies.  One has to "interpret" depending on what fabrics are available.  The white fluff at the edge of the surf is ravelings from white fabric. 

Del Thomas second of three studies. 

Del Thomas third of three studies, based on the two pictures on the left.  

I didn't do a large piece.  Instead I tried out some things I had been thinking about.  In "Blue Trees" I fused all the trees and then added the brown ground by cutting small pieces to fit the bottoms of the trees.  Rather fussy, but it worked well. 

This is my 30-min project.  I must admit that I pulled some fabrics before I got the picture back, knowing what I would need - generally, anyway.   I was looking for a picture that would use different shapes, so I included linear, round, spiky, and lacy (which the hanging branch will be after quilting).  I'm not happy with the sky, but everyone else seems to like it. 

My table with KoKo watching over me while I work. 

Most of the students work in a mess, just like I do. 

I brought my existing flat boxes of fused scraps sorted by color, but, of course, didn't have what I needed and had to go begging.   It is a bit of a drive to a fabric shop or a 2nd hand store.  

Andrea Bacal's design board.  She has a wonderful sense of whimsy and I wish I could develop one of my own.

See what I mean?  Andrea took this staid picture and turned it into a fantasy. 

And whimsical flowers representing those on the left. 

On top is one of Andrea's 6"X9" studies and on the bottom her 30-min project.  She had the right idea - keep it simple. 

And this is her large project.  Wonderful dark stormy clouds over the tents of a traveling show.   I think this and Karen's Half Dome are the top of the class.  But maybe I am biased.

One of Karen Crossland's  6"x9" studies.  

And here are two more, though I didn't get a shot of the red/purple original picture.  And at the bottom is her 30-min project.  

Karen was working on this at the end of the class - didn't photograph the photo she was working from. 

And this image of Yosemite's Half Dome is her masterpiece.  Sooo wonderful. 

It is late and I will continue this tomorrow.  
#   #   # 

1 comment:

Loretta said...

What a fabulous class....and the results are extraordinary. Great, great fun!
The simple interpretation of the photograph using strips and fussy cuts of fabric fused is a project I'll be trying here at home. In our PALS group, Sue Benner's work has been tried just fussy cutting circles and stacking the various layers atop each other and adhering various rings to a fabric square...then cutting those squares apart and reassembling them. Sue Benner has wonderful projects for her classes...she's definitely on my list of instructor to take a workshop from. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration. Your trees, cacti and grasses are wonderful...I love the grasses background hills.