Sunday, May 13, 2018

Re-visiting a Ruth B. McDowell quilt 05-13-18

Now that the Jacaranda trees are blooming I thought you might enjoy seeing Ruth McDowell's version of a Jacaranda tree again.  

I post this quilt every year about this time.  See:

"Jacaranda Tree"  Ruth B. McDowell - Colrain, MA 1996  45"W x 39"L
Machine pieced and quilted on a home machine. 
Cotton fabrics, batting, and thread. 

A full grown Jacaranda in my neighborhood in Placentia, CA.

 
And, in case you haven't seen the trees up close, here is a close up of the blossoms.  




3 comments:

Cathy Perlmutter said...

We're in Socal and have glorious jacaranda. Ruth's interpretation is the best.

Loretta said...

The most beautiful of trees...thank you for sharing Ruth's again.

Rebecca said...

(I probably said this last year): As soon as I started quilting, my mother sent me a card that I believe had this image on it. It was her reminder of southern California, and my introduction to art quilts.

I was noticing just a couple days ago that a nearby jacaranda was dropping its blossoms, while the next door neighbor's hasn't started showing yet!