Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Road trip prep 05-15-18

I always leave too much to the last minute.  I was looking at my maps last night and find that my Oregon and Washington maps are quite a few years old.  So, now I must stop at AAA to pick up some new ones.  Why didn't I think of this a month ago?   Yes, I do have Google maps, Map Quest, WAZE, and even a built in electronic map system in my car.  But I like to see what is around me, I know where I am going and could drive it without a single map.  As I am driving I see mountains (what are they called?), and valleys which must have a name, and little crossroads that turn off to where?  It is part of loving a road trip.  Sometimes, when time allows I will turn off and take a scenic route, or even a non-scenic route, just to see somewhere different.  

I have given some thought to turning off in Bishop and driving up into the mountains where Floyd and I went fishing several times a year.  Bishop Park was our favorite campground and we always strove to nab the campsite at the very top of the road under an enormous Jeffrey pine.   The campgrounds don't open (or didn't used to) until after Memorial Day, so I could only go to the gate.  Depends on how tired I am, I guess.  I've been up there a half dozen times in the last 28 years, just to sit and remember what wonderful times we had..  I guess I'll wait until I get there and see how I am doing.  

These pictures were taken in October 2012.

It is a beautiful drive up, up, up into the mountains. 

Here is our favorite campsite.

Looking up into the huge Jeffrey pine. 

And about 30 feet away, through the stunted aspen trees, is the tumbling Bishop Creek. 

#   #   #




2 comments:

Loretta said...

I too love MAPS from AAA --- I too like to see what's around me and position myself somewhere in the state I'm driving in! My GPS only gives me a perhaps 4x5" view of the various colored roads/highways I'm on and those I may be entering or leaving...not enough information for me! Google maps don't provide enough surrounding territory either! Just give me a huge AAA map to open while I'm driving or leave it opened on the seat beside me....I'm happy!
Enjoy your trip..

Rebecca said...

Yes, I totally agree! You get a better perspective, and you can see alternatives. I want to see where I'm going, and not just follow directions (which can lead you far astray if you decide to try something different). Also, I was in Temecula a couple weekends ago, and decided to take an alternate route to avoid a ridiculous back-up. The way the main roads go angling, it was hard to see on a small screen just where I was going (I wanted an overview). So I hope you got your trip to AAA in.

Also, I can just smell the woods in your pictures...so evocative. I can almost hear cicadas (coming down from Seattle, northern California is where we would hear them.)