Sunday, October 28, 2018

Quilt by Irene Kahmann - Germany 10-28-18

"Korallenriff" [Coral Reef]  Irene Kahmann - Germany  2010  24" square
Silk and cotton fabric, poly batting, machine pieced and applied, hand quilted.


Creative in her art and in her fund raising, Virginia Spiegel presented "Tuesday Tote" earlier this year [2010] to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. For several Tuesdays in a row she offered tote bags filled by individuals and groups of quilt artists. I bid on one of Karey Bresenhan's totes with international donations and my bid won. I received a box of great fabrics and 'goodies' which included this quilt donated by German quilter Irene Kahmann.  When I Google her name there are a number of sites that include winning quilts she has shown in various venues. And there is an interview on the Alliance for American Quilts site:www.allianceforamericanquilts.org/qsos/
Since I posted this quilt first in 2010 she has published two quilting books in German and they are available through Amazon.    She had a quilt in Quilt National 1989.

This is the first quilt from Germany in the TCQC

The border is machine pieced from silks in different neutral colors.  The applique is very fine machine stitching.  

The back is a lovely cotton print of seashells that I have never seen.  Perhaps it is a German fabric, of which I have seen very little and have not been to Germany. 

One unusual thing about this quilt is that it is the only one in the Collection that I did not personally choose.  There was no picture or description in the listing for the auction, so I just accepted what came.  It is not quite as blue as in these pictures, the back has a faintly blue background instead of a bright blue.  I should take a better picture in better light.  

#   #   # 


No comments: