Thursday, September 26, 2019

A one hour car wash 09-26-19

The funniest thing happened at the car wash today.  Some would not think so, but I found it very amusing and it gave me a chance to read my e-mail which I hadn't had time to do. I had taken KoKo to the groomer for a bath and trim which takes about two hours.  I didn't have anything special to do, so I decided to go to the car wash which is almost across the street from the groomer.  And then I would go to the ice cream shop and fill my craving for an hot fudge sundae. 

Today was cloudy and cool, the high was 77F after weeks of 80s and 90s.  I don't know if that had anything to do with the lack of business at the car wash, there were no cars waiting when I drove up.  Unheard of.  I got my ticket and went inside to pay and browse through all the strange, unlikely things they sell at the car wash - like large artificial flower arrangements.  Very nice if you like that sort of thing.  So, I paid and was looking at the snarky greeting cards, still nobody else came in.  The manager lady came up to me and pointed through the windows into the washing line and asked me if that was my car.  Oh, no, I thought, something wrong with my car.  Not exactly.  It seems that the problem was with the SUV in front of my car.  It had locked itself and the owner did not have a key.  It seems that sometimes the electronic doors don't like the car wash so they lock automatically.  There is a small sign near the door suggesting that owners of electronic doors bring a spare key with them, just in case.  The SUV guy did not have one.  And he refused to have the car wash guys push his car the rest of the way through the wash into the "drying yard".  So, he called the auto club to come open his doors.  He was quite nasty and vocal about it, seeming to blame the attendants for the problem.  The manager was so apologetic about the delay, but I would have to wait until AAA arrived which could take quite a long time since now it was rush hour traffic - the busiest time of day for AAA.  Meanwhile the guy is stomping around being obnoxious.  He went out to be with his car, thank heavens.  The manager had managed to stop any cars behind me - after a certain point one cannot back out of a car wash.  My car, of course, was beyond that point.  I had to laugh at being caught between and rock and a hard place!  

So, I sat down with my cell phone and read my e-mail.  The manager gave me a card for a free car wash at some future time.  And she sent most of the crew on their way.  But those that stayed must have spent their time cleaning my car.  After about an hour the man drove away to stew and complain to his family and friends.  And I stepped into a car with freshly cleaned front seats, sparkling windows and spotless dash.  Lovely.  

According to the manager this only happens a couple times a year, but it happens also at other car washes.  So, if there is a moral to this story it would be - carry a spare key. 

I feel for the manager as they lost a couple hours of business.  But hopefully the guy will never come back or he will remember to have a key - in case his car should lock itself up. 
He stated loudly that this has never happened before, so he better watch out, those could be fighting words.  
#   #   #

4 comments:

Loretta said...

In addition to being a fine quilter, you are also a genius -- filling your time successfully catching up and enjoying the hours of waiting. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

This was a most informative post. How about another caveat---be prepared if you have an unexpected delay (like 3 hours in the airport both coming and
going. Thank heavens for audible!). You inspire me with every post. Keep it up, Del.

Carol said...

I had no idea this could happen! Thanks for the tip.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I didn't know this. You did well keeping an even head in the situation.