Friday, May 8, 2020

Friday Food 05-08-20

Last fall I became acquainted with neighbors in the cul de sac across the street when they asked if they could hire me to drive their two young boys to school a couple mornings a week.   No, they couldn't hire me, but I would do it for free.  Such nice boys, fourth grade and kindergarten, and very well behaved.  It was a pleasure and gave me somewhat of a focus in my weeks.  Since I wouldn't take pay the mother, Mariam, decided she would feed me.  They are Indian from India, although Elvis, the father, was born and raised in the US, and their diet is mostly Indian.  Rather an exploration for me as I have only occasionally eaten at Indian restaurants. 

Even though school is canceled and I no longer get to drive the boys, Mariam and Elvis still share dinner with me once a week or so.  They both cook and I don't know who does what, but I am willing to try just about anything.  I told them right away that I can't eat really hot spicy food, as my aged stomach just can't tolerate it.  So, mostly the spice is mild, but once in a while there is something so hot I cannot eat it.  If I do I am in agony for several days.  I don't know the names of most of the dishes, even though they tell me I can't remember and would need to write each one down.  I do know Biryani, which is, so far, my favorite dish.  

This was dinner earlier this week. 

Clockwise from left: fried fish (maybe cod), the veggie stew they eat a lot, a green bean dish with nice spices, but not hot, and the steamed rice that is different than Basmati or Jasmine.  

The chunks of fish had a light coat of breading and paprika.

I meant to ask Mariam about this veggie.  It is like very skinny green beans cut into 1/4" rounds, but there are many other additions.  I liked it a lot.  Mariam told me that the beans and other greens come from their yard or Elvis' parents garden in Torrance.  

We have a bit of an international neighborhood.  Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Brazilian, Mexican, German, and I don't know what else.  My ancestery is mostly northern European, but I am so far removed I am just common American.  

#   #   #

4 comments:

Loretta said...

Yummy.... I love Indian foods...even somewhat spicy, although recently this old tummy is barking back! You can take down the spiceyness a bit with yogurt!
Sounds like you live is a very special neighborhood. Enjoy your walks with Koko when its cool!

Carol said...

I’m so glad you are still in (some) contact with them, Del. Very nice of them to continue to bring you food. Neighbors are so important right now!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That looks delicious. I am glad you have this special connection with your neighbors. My neighborhood is multi-ethnic too, and I really appreciate that.

Rebecca said...

It sounds like an interesting and nice neighborhood. I suspect the one I moved into just before the virus is pretty homogenous. I wonder if you have interesting grocery shopping!