Friday, June 12, 2020

Plants in the neighborhood 06-11-20

As my memory wanders away from me I try to remember plant names by repeating them to myself when I see them as we walk.  Some just don't come back, or maybe I didn't even know them in the first place! 


This liquidamber pod fell from the tree onto a hedge of morning glory vines.  Odd, but pleasing combination. 


A just opening agapanthus flower. The outer sheath peels back and out pop all the individual florets of the full bloom. 


This resembles the silver sword of Hawaii, maybe the same family, but I can't find the id.   It is quite a large plant, probably spreads to 30" wide.  Flower stalks are about 36" high and the new flowers bloom at the top as the previous ones dry up. 

Here is just one flower blooming on top of the dried out blooms. 

This is one of the aloes, but not aloe vera, the most familiar of some hundreds of varieties.   The flower stalks grow up to seven or eight feet tall.  The spiky leaves are rough and hairy on the edges.  We see this everywhere these days; in yards, along roadsides, parking lots, street medians, it is a very popular landscape plant.  The flower stalks and flowers are more red than in this picture.  The seed pods are large and many form along the flower stalks.  

I tried the new Blogger, but couldn't figure out how to write a post!!  There is nothing that I can see that says "new post".  Anyone have any advice?

#   #   #


1 comment:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I like looking at the plants in my neighborhood too, although I have no idea what the names are. I was able to find the new post button at the top of my own blog but they must have taken it away when you look at other blogs so you don't think you can post on theirs?