Sunday, July 19, 2020

Pieced block quilts 07-19-20

I have made traditional pieced block quilts off and on all my life - well, since I was seven anyway.  But I haven't made many lately.  Instead I have been doing Ruth B. McDowell's piecing technique, Sue Benner's fusing style, and my own combination of those and other things I have learned or "invented".  So, my current work on a Little Houses quilt which originated with Karen Perin has been a bit of a struggle.  Not using my skills for several years has made me lose some of them.  And my ageing brain struggles with remembering or relearning.  But I have enjoyed the Little Houses and the quilt top is finished except for one more outside border - once I can make a fabric choice!  

I don't remember which was my last block quilt, but here is "Blue Goose" finished in December 1995.  It is a 14.5" block with the sashing cut from a fabric design by Ruth B. McDowell.   Basically it is a scrap quilt with yellows from my vast yellow fabric library, but I did have to buy some blues.  Seems like it is not a color I use a lot.  


"Blue Goose"  Del Thomas  1995  56"W x 73.5"L
Commercial cotton prints, cotton batting and thread.
Machine pieced and quilted. 
Quilted by Derek Lockwood, Chino, CA




I was really into fancy labels then.  This one has two paper pieced blue geese.  Notice the backing fabric.  When the top was finished I was working in a quilt shop and went in one morning to unpack new fabric that had been delivered.  The first bolt out of the package were these great blue angels on a yellow ground.  It was made to be the back of this quilt. 

#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Fine piecing. I look back to pieced quilts and am reminded of the patience it took me to get through a bed sized quilt. Art quilts are much, much more fun and not so many corners!