Saturday, July 25, 2020

Friday Food 07-24-20

This looks appetizing to me because I love sauteed mushrooms.  TJoe's had boxes of nice mushrooms all the same size (except one - how did that get in there).  So, I minced up some garlic and a piece of shallot, stirred them around in some olive oil and butter until they looked good and dumped in the mushrooms.  A dollop of dry sherry and a soupcon of water and stir, stir, stir.  
Delicious. 




I only had two pieces of wheat bread, no sourdough (how did I forget that?), which I lightly buttered and laid top side down on the mushrooms to warm a bit.   And that was dinner.  A basically two item meal.  I seem to be eating more of those lately. 

One reason I enjoy this so much is that it brings back lovely memories of a meal in Bath, England, some years ago when I was traveling with a dear friend.  We took the train from London and somehow arrived late in the day.  We wandered around sightseeing a bit and decided we needed to eat before it got too late.  But it was already too late and most restaurants were closed.  Near the cathedral there were a few people at outside tables and we went in and found that they were just closing the kitchen.  We plead hunger and weariness (my friend was so good at that) and the chef said he could prepare some mushrooms and bread.  At the time it seemed like the best meal we had ever eaten.  And I remember it with everlasting fondness.  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Carol said...

What a wonderful memory. Your mushrooms look great!

Loretta said...

Food memories may be about the very best! I too LOVE mushrooms, just sauted with a little white or red wine slashed in! Yes, with sourdough bread, it is divine....take care and stay well.