Tuesday, September 18, 2007

View from our house - Sep 18

I always enjoy pictures of Blogger's surroundings. So, I am posting a couple pictures of my surroundings.

This is the view from my porch looking across the street into a cul-de-sac.
I rushed out and took the picture when I heard the sound I hate the most - a chainsaw! But it turned out that the homeowner had hired someone to just trim her trees. When we moved here twenty years ago there where many large trees which added a lot to this suburban SCalifornia neighborhood. But as the original owners retired and moved away, new people moved in and the first thing everyone seems to do is cut down all the trees. I don't know why - perhaps because they are messy and drop leaves and things on the smooth green lawns. These two long-needled pines are the largest trees remaining, except for those in the park behind the house.


And this is the view out the back. There is a steep slope down to the coyote fence, a dirt road that belongs to the water company, a chain link fence, a cement lined flood control channel, another chain link fence and, to the left behind a block wall, some patio homes with well tended landscaping and, to the right, the park w/redwoods and deador cedars. When standing back from the low wall at the top of the slope none of the above can be seen, just a green view into the park and the trees and roofs of the patio homes to the left. This picture shows blooming pyracantha (sometimes called fire thorn) on the block wall.
I took the picture last April when I was trying to describe to a cyber friend a police chase along the flood control channel and through the park. It was a very unsual event, but quite exciting - I just wish it hadn't been at 6:15am (or so)!! No sleeping when helicopters are buzzing around overhead. They did, by the way, catch the fugitive a couple blocks away.

And here is an amazing bit of trivia. Connectivity - It took 46 years to wire 30 percent of the U.S. for electricity; it took only 7 years for the Internet to reach that level of connectivity to U.S. homes.

1 comment:

June said...

It is fun to see your surroundings. Until you described it, I was thinking the back was idyllic. And the firethorn looks like it will do well this year, just like ours.