Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Parking Lot 11-30-10

Most parking lots are just big lots with lots of cars parked fender to fender, nose to nose. But some are places where things happen - meetings, exchanges, conversations... who knows what! The lot at my favorite Starbuck's is one of the latter. There is an El Pollo Loco sharing the lot which backs up onto Anaheim Lakes which is a popular place for locals to fish off the banks - I don't know what they catch, I've never seen anyone catch anything! I drive to the fence , park and drink my coffee while I watch the birds, there are always rafts of seagulls and sometimes more interesting species.

If Corky is with me I have to go to the drive-thru window and be greeted by one of these guys (or gals) in the red aprons. I'd rather go inside so I can doctor my latte with a little milk if it is too bitter, but they won't let Corky in! They used to give treats out to dogs at the drive-thru, but after the business about harmful ingredients in some dog treats the corporate office put a stop to it. Now I always carry treats because Corky doesn't understand about corporate edicts.


Bicyle clubs need rendezvous at the beginning and end of a ride, and sometimes a few stops along the way. The support vehicles park way back in the lot and set up tables with water and snacks for the riders. This club does work for charity, but I didn't quite understand who they were or what they do. Their van is easy to pick out in its bright paint - and the bikes on the top!

This is one of our resident Ospreys. There are several man-made osprey nesting platforms at the less visited end of the lake and the birds go fishing anywhere they like. They are raptors who pull fish from the water to eat. Quite fascinating in this very populated area.

It is hard to see the top line on this license plate frame (click to enlarge), but it is the best of three images I took. The next best view would be if I reclined on the parking lot pavement, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get up without help! And surely not in time to keep someone from running over me.
As for the 'exchanging' - this is the lot where I meet the Poodle Parents when they need to drop off or pick up Corky; convenient for both of us and convenient for others. There is a lady who takes care of her daughter's dog when the daughter travels, so they meet here to do the "exchange". I frequently see children being exchanged by (presumably divorced) parents - it doesn't always go smoothly. Sometimes there are small groups of scouts going off or returning from a camping trip. And then there are the exchanges of kisses! One could, I suppose, write a novel about adventures in the Starbuck's parking lot - no violence, no gratuitous sex. It would never sell.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

Again! Loved reading through your post today!! Thanks for the smile I have right now!♥

June said...

What a good place you have found -- and how ingenious it shows the ordinary human is about his/her daily chores.

Thanks for sharing.