Monday, November 29, 2010

Quilt by Pamela Allen in TCQC 11-28-10

Here is another quilt I purchased at the Alliance For American Quilts online auction earlier this month. A big contrast to the quilt I posted last Sunday. When I started collecting the term "Art Quilt", if it existed, was not in common use - thus the "Contemporary" in TCQC. I think of the word as encompassing quilts made in the last quarter of the 20th C and the first quarter of the 21st C. They are, in other words, contemporary to me.
"Can't Piece Geese. Can Do A Loose Goose." Pamela Allen 2010 16" x 16"
Recycled and commercial fabric. Raw edge, hand applique.
Pamela had this to say about this quilt: "I confess I was stumped at this year’s theme as I know almost nothing about traditional quilting and certainly have no fragments from early patterns. I hardly know the names of patterns! However, I DID know the flying geese one which requires piecing triangles . . . thus my title as I couldn’t piece anything to save my life! I have adapted a goose from Inuit imagery that I admire for its quirky shape and humorous distortions."
And I admired the quirkiness also and bid on the quilt.

Pamela uses a lot of recycled/preused/reused fabric and has a great eye for putting the fabrics together. She uses a collage technique rather than piecing and doesn't pre-plan her designs.

She does a great deal of hand stitching using embroidery thread, perle cotton or whatever she feels will work best to stitch the applique pieces to the background.

She has developed a great talent for machine quilting

The plain back shows the quilting very well.

The label Pamela applied.

The label the Alliance applied.

I admire Pamela's work and there are now four of her quilts in the TCQC. Since I carry quilts around to show at different venues I must avoid quilts that have heavy or thick embellishments, or I would have more Pamela quilts. I took a class with her in winter 2008 at Empty Spools at Asilomar and found she is an excellent teacher. I may never make a "Pamela Allen" type quilt, but the lessons I learned have become a part of my library of techniques which will serve me well as long as I can make quilts. I recommend her classes and her teaching skills.
http://pamelart2.homestead.com/newquilts.html

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I love this quilt, and I am also a big Pamela fan. Thanks for sharing!

meg cox said...

I love Pam's quilts and also bought one in a previous Alliance auction. We're so thrilled that she continues to make quilts for our annual contest. Thanks so much for showcasing your auction purchases! I hope you let your readers know that tonight starts our fourth and final week of auctions this year on eBay-- lots of awesome quilts, including our grand prize winner by Jamie Fingal.
Meg Cox, president, Alliance for American Quilts