Saturday, December 4, 2010

What's for Dinner? 12-04-10

Corky's special treats are little carrots which come in one pound bags - enough carrots to last for a couple months! Obviously, a Poodle Prince can't eat ageing carrots, so... what to do? I keep trying different carrot recipes since I like cooked carrots. This time I had about one and a half pounds of both ageing and fresh carrots, so I tried one of Molly Wizenberg's recipes, posted in November. http://orangette.blogspot.com/2010/11/she-got-out-skillet.html
Molly cuts her carrots into 1/4" rounds, but I just cut the fatter ones vertically in half. Other than that I followed her recipe exactly. The carrots are delicious. Of course, there are waaaay too many for me, so when I return Corky to his parents on Monday I will take them a container. And maybe Carol and Dick Bednar will enjoy trying them. I'll cut the recipe in half (or more) in the future. And I'll still have enough for a week of meals! I suppose they will freeze okay.
This is my 10-inch cast iron skillet, but I think I should have used the 11.25-incher. Definitely if I every have to cook a full two pounds of carrots.

Delicious!

When I stopped for gas I noticed this billboard. I didn't immediately see that the large word is PLAN and then it took me some minutes to translate the Spanish to English. I only have English, but can figure out some Spanish, French and Italian if I really work at it. The sign says, "Prepare[ing] now reduces the effects of a disaster tomorrow." We all live with the threat of a major earthquake, no matter what language we speak/read.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I love that "plan" billboard.

I often think that the popularity of words like "hope" and "dream" in various mixed media art and other inspirational designs could be replaced with "plan." Of course, hopes and dreams are wonderful and important, but we have to take action toward our dreams ... we do that by making plans.

Anonymous said...

Actually cooked carrots don't freeze all that well.It's the texture that breaks down, the flavor will probably be okay. Perhaps you can find an additional friend or two?
Linda