Friday, December 3, 2010

What's For Lunch? 12-03-10

I do like to try different foods. Sometimes I am disappointed, but usually I discover something I enjoy a lot. Trader Joe's is a good source of new discoveries.

When I saw "Brussels Sprout Salad in the refrigerated case I didn't react with joy - I thought it sounded a little strange, even though I do like Brussels sprouts cooked. But, hey, it was something I had never tried.

The ingredients are cooked tiny Brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, bits of bacon, roasted hazelnuts, Manchego cheese and honey Dijon mustard vinaigrette.

It was DELICIOUS! The Brussels sprouts were very tender and very mild, the bacon was subtle and the vinaigrette was a perfect balance of sharp, sour and sweet. I may stop tomorrow for another box when I go to LBeach to pick up the Poodle Prince. It has to be a seasonal product, so I will enjoy it while it is "in".

Speaking of 'seasonal', the manager at my local TJ's admitted to me that they will not be carrying cranberry chutney this year. I guess I will have to dig out my recipe and make my own. Although I do so little cooking I'm not sure I now know any longer!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Rayna said...

Good grief, finally catching up with your blog. Would that Trader Joe's were closer to my home...
I did make a raw brussels sprouts salad the other night and it was quite good, if I do say so. I have to give the credit to Mark Bittman of the NYTimes, whose recipes are always wonderful - and easy.
Raw beet salad for Thanksgiving - very good, too.

Enjoy your scarf!

Beverly said...

Mmm, thanks for posting that- we will try making it up ourselves, since the nearest Trader Joe's is about seven hours from home. TJ's would be tops on the list of 'stuff I miss from SoCal'.

Gerrie said...

I love Brussels Sprouts. This sounds delish. I have been getting Brussels Sprouts tops/leaves in my organic produce and have been sauteing them like spinach - very good!

Terry Grant said...

That sounds wonderful. I don't understand why anybody (my husband, for example) would not like brussels sprouts. Then, if you add bacon it is a feast! I am going to TJs tomorrow. I hope they have it here.

June said...

Good heavens, that sounds good. We don't do Trader Joe's, alas. To be perfectly factual, Jer doesn't do TJ's and would look at me with utter bewilderment were I to suggest not only TJ's but this particular dish. Maybe I'll have to talk Jan into a trip....