Thursday, September 22, 2011

Not keeping up

Several months ago my friend Verna suggested I join her in participating in a Calico House challenge - "Ugly Fabric".   As usual, I thought I would have lots of time to finish the challenge, but, as it turned out, I didn't.  I took the project with me to Washington State and may have finished in time, but my sewing machine refused to cooperate.  I called Calico House to apologize and told them my project would not be completed. 

These are the "ugly" fabrics, which I don't think are ugly!  We could add fabrics, but had to use some all of the original five - a yard of the focus fabric and four coordinated fat quarters.  When I spread the fabrics on my work table there were fabrics nearby and one of them jumped out of the pile and screamed "Use me!"  So, I decided on the design, added the screaming fabric and solid black, cut a paper tree shape and fused the tree to the background.

 
As I have done for years I started quilting the background before doing the fused applique.  But that is when my machine decided to break the top thread.  I tried everything - changed needles, changed threads, cleaned/oiled the machine, kicked the cat and rode my broom around the room.  Nothing worked.  Too much stress - I packed everything away and it stayed in the car until I arrived home.
I'm hoping that I will be able to finish the quilt soon.  My friend Verna turned her quilt in long before the deadline and so did a bunch of other quilters.  You can see the quilts displayed at Calico House in Placentia until the end of September.  
Calico House, 1243 E. Imperial Hwy, Placentia, CA 92870  714-993-3091 www.calicohousequilting.com
 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Patty ♣ said...

FRUStrAtion! Sorry that part of your time away went south! I hope to see what the Finish turns out like!