Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What's on the Road... 09-20-11

When I am traveling I am always interested in what the trucks are carrying.  I've always been this way, but now that I have a digital camera I can keep a record and sometimes satisfy my curiosity by doing some Googling!  I have an entire file of just truck pictures- I'm weird that way!
The logs on this truck are fairly good sizes, larger than what I usually see these days.  I've talked before about my childhood memories of logs so huge that only one would fit on a truck.  That wasn't unusual sixty years ago.  This load was near Chehalis, WA, on I-5.

On this recent Road Trip I saw several loads like this.  Can't imagine what it could be.  Is it covered to protect the object?  Or to keep it secret?  Or....?  This one was just as I was going north into Seattle where they have these lighted speed limit signs with different speeds for each lane.  The signs are controlled electronically from a central "command post" so that traffic will flow more smoothly.  Bet they wouldn't work in LA, nobody would stay in the slower lanes!

There are always trucks hauling produce in the San Joaquin Valley.  These tomatoes are traveling I-5 to a processing plant that will turn them into sauce or ketchup.  They are all about the same size, get ripe all at the same time and have no flavor.  The flavor is added in the canning process.

 
Whenever I go on a Road Trip I take a picture of my vehicle - a hangover from the 50's,  I imagine, when almost everyone took photos of their cars/trucks.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

I love your blog. I never know what you are going to talk about next. Whatever it is, you make it interesting.
I could dig out some old car pictures from the 1950s. I'd forgotten about those.

Suzanne Kistler said...

We've been traveling the same roads, seeing the same truckloads. I wonder if we've passed each other, without knowing?