Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Road Trip - Mt Vernon, WA to Beaverton, OR 04-30-13

Time to head South toward home.  It was an uneventful drive from Mt. Vernon to HIE in Tigard, OR, right next door to Beaverton.  Rather cool today, the temperature reading in the car didn't make it to 60F.   Supposed to be warmer here over the weekend, but I'll be home by Sunday and I know it will be HOT there.  I've enjoyed the coolness and the clear skies.


I'd forgotten about the red car phenomena that I noticed when I was up here in August 2011.   I took this picture this morning.  Red car on the far left, one going in the opposite direction, one red car ahead and there was a red pickup next to me.
 
This image is from August 21, 2011.  There is one red car ahead of me and in the rearview mirror are three more!  What is it with Washington car owners? 
Unlike Indiana, red is not a school color for Washington.
 
 

Before heading south on I-5 I went to Mabel's house to say goodbye.  She and Mac live on the western side of town.  This picture, looking west from their street, shows the fresh snow on the foothills - on the last day of April!  All the white area just about the trees is snow!  the car thermometer showed 48F.
 

This is typical of the landscape and skyscape that I drove through.
 

When I checked in at HIE I was tired and didn't pay attention at first, but the noise finally filtered into my brain.  The light streak in the middle of the picture is I-5 with cars and trucks rushing along.  Too fast for me to snap a picture.


 
But I did catch this fire truck.  That is when I put in my earplugs - I never travel without them and they have saved my sanity many times! 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dolores said...

Wow, still snow!! You sound happy, Del, I like that!! XX

Sonia said...

Due to our often dark, wet and dreary weather, the red cars are all about being seen by other drivers. We are also a bit hungry for relief from the persistent gray of our surroundings and any bit of color is welcome. Happy May Day! Sorry you won't be here for the 80 degrees predicted for the weekend.