Friday, May 3, 2013

Road Trip - Almonds 05-03-13

I am home after a rather long day of driving.  Starting out in SJBautista this morning I stopped several times along the way - once to have a little nap!   I do much better on a Road Trip if I stop every two hours or so to walk around, do some stretches, focus my brain on something different.  There was a bit of a detour in my regular route down I-5.  I turned east on Hwy 58, drove through Bakersfield and up into the mountains to Tehachapi where Mabel's daughter lives.  Mabel had collected quite a stack of things for Karen and there has not been a decision about Mabel and Mac driving down for their youngest g'son's high school graduation.  I offered to take everything with me and swing through Tehachapi and pass them on to Karen.  It was a snap and I recognized a lot of changes since the last time I drove that way.  Many more wind turbines, new buildings, and how dry everything is with the low rainfall.  While I was traveling today two brush fires broke out - one near Newbury Park near the coast and one in Glendale - I could smell that one as I drove through the area, but was not anywhere near the actual fire.  The smoke in the air makes a gorgeous sunset, but  there was too much traffic for me to take pictures. 


I pulled off the roadway to take some pictures of almonds. On the south side of the highway there is a tall berm, I don't know what is beyond the berm, but it extends for more than a mile.  
 

On the other side of the road are miles of almond orchardsRemember when I drove up for Empty Spools I posted pictures of almond trees in full bloom. 
http://www.delquilts.blogspot.com/2013/03/driving-home-from-empty-spools-03-07-13.html
Now the actual almonds are growing fat on the trees, giving them a sort of fuzzy look as they stick out in all directions.
 

The trees are heavy with leaves and almonds.
 
 
I think they are so lovely at this stage of growth - sort of like all white Jordan Almonds.
 
 
Inside the soft outer husk is the familiar hard shell with little pits.

Not much of a post tonight, but I am ready for bed.  Sooo tired.  Sooo glad to be home.

 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

abelian said...

Thanks for stopping to take photos of the almonds! We drive by all the orchards on our way to Shaver Lake, but never take time to stop and look more closely.

Dottie D

Dolores said...

Please you had a good trip and are home safe in your abode!! Rest up and have lazy days. XX

Patty ♣ said...

Yay! Home again!
Nice trip Del!! You amaze me. Loved the go along pictures and your explanations. Maybe someday I will drive a long way by myself. I am such a sissy! Was worried about you coming through the fires and perhaps detours. Look forward to seeing you soon at Surfside.

Quiltedtime said...

Glad you are home, safe and sound.