Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Road Trip - Mt. Hood came out 05-01-13

It was a wonderful day and the weather was perfect - look at that cloudless, BLUE sky!
Terry Grant had invited Gerrie Congdon, June Underwood and me to her house for lunch and some Show&Tell.  Unfortunately, June was not feeling well and couldn't make it; instead we were joined by Terry's daughter on a day off from teaching 6th graders.  A lovely salad and homemade bread which was very, very good.  Maybe I'll try bread making again, it has been decades since I did.  Terry showed me her studio, which is even more impressive than the pictures she has posted on her blog and she has work in progress up on her design wall.  She does such great work and I am always interested in how artists go about creating. 

Too soon it was time to leave and I took the route to I-5 that Terry told me about, it was a snap.  I stopped in Sherwood to mail a package and when I was closer to I-5 Mt. Hood popped out of the trees.  And then I couldn't get a good view between trees and trucks and hills, so from I-5 I drove NE on I-205 to the view point I stopped at going north.  I knew I would have an excellent view of "my" mountain from there.  It is miles out of the way I needed to go to head home, but it seemed important to have just a few more pictures. .


My first view before she hid behind trees, trucks and hills.
 

Here is another bit of history from the signs at the view point.  I am surprised that Portland had electric power in 1889.
 

There is the mountain towering in the distance and Willamette Falls at Oregon City in foreground.
 

Not Niagara, but impressive all the same.
 

Pulling the image closer.
 

And even closer.  I am very fond of this mountain which we could see from our front yard when I was growing up.  The movie "The Shining" was filmed on location at Timberline Lodge located on the slope of Mt. Hood.   Nothing to do with anything - just a factoid!

I am in Grants Pass tonight and will drive south tomorrow until I feel I need to stop for the night.  Maybe in the Sacramento area.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Dolores said...

I love traveling with you!! Thanks!! XX

Linda said...

I have really enjoyed your journey north to Oregon and Washington on this road trip. It has been way too long since I have seen these lovely sites, your photos reminded me how truly beautiful this part of our country is.
Thank you again for letting me me join you...

Linda
www.OneFootinFrance.blogspot.com

Gerrie said...

Oooooh! Great photos of our mountain. I so enjoyed my short time with you. I am sorry I had to rush off. I finally had to pull off into a parking lot and do my conference call on my cell!! I was having too much fun with you and totally lost track of the time. Come back, soon!

Terry Grant said...

So good to see you! I am glad to see that the rest of your trip went well. Mt. Hood has been gorgeous this week. Seems like I haven't seen it for ages, as it is usually in hiding.