Monday, April 28, 2014

Class day with Hilde Morin 04-28-14

I am learning how Hilde creates her quilts and after years of Ruth McDowell precision I'm having a struggle.  Hilde doesn't really measure anything and other than a photo for inspiration there are no drawn designs and no "pattern".  It is very hard!  But I am working at it - starting at her suggested starting point, making windows.  I didn't take a single photo today, but have a couple I took yesterday showing her work. 
 
This piece is about 35"W and 48"L (I'll measure it tomorrow) and is all pieced (NO applique, NO fusing, No Y-seams, NO set ins) and has a bit of embellishment with machine thread work.

 
 
The weather is gorgeous, if a slight bit cooler than I would like.  Bluest sky with long streaks of contrails out of the Bay Area which turn into pink "hedgerows" in the sunset.  Very lovely.
#   #   #

3 comments:

Susan Turney said...

Wow! I love that quilt! It'll be fun to see everyone's interptretation.

Karen said...

After looking at her website, I can see why you're taking the class. Have fun Del.

Loretta said...

What fun!! I recently took a workshop - Split Log Cabin - like you, I had a very hard time just cutting and sewing with abandon! Learning options to our talents is essential for expanding that old gray matter! I await your progress!