Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Quilt Festival LBeach #8 posted 08-05-09

I got the pictures a little messed up - the fawn quilt is not in the "Tactile Architecture" exhibit.

But if I move the pictures they will not enlarge when you click on them.

It was in the "Celebrate Spring 2009" exhibit.

This is such a lovely quilt. Her fabric choices are spot-on. It has a wonderful spring morning feel - look at the tree in the right background, it is just sprouting leaves.

"The Old Homestead" Ruth Powers - Carbondale, KS. 03-06 56.5"W x 49.5"L
I did not take a picture of this quilt, it was in one of the SAQA exhibits which don't allow photography. But I pulled this one from my files.
Yes, another Ruth Powers quilt.

This is the one that was in "Tactile Architecture". There were quite a few fire quilts in the Journal Quilt exhibit, but none as good as this, which is too big to be a journal quilt. This one has that sooty, gritty feeling of a burning building.

This man adds a bit of mystery - is he a volunteer fireman? Or the owner of the building? Or...? Ruth has made her guys look very realistic and yet it is all done with straight seams. Notice the watch, which I suppose has an appliqued round face.

I completely missed Ruth's "Nasturtiums" quilt which was in the exhibit "In Full Bloom V: Floral Quilts in the Memory of Helen Pearce O'Bryant. And I don't have an image in my files, but you can see a picture of it in the Gallery on her website. http://www.ruthpowersartquilts.com/

I have to admit my bias - Ruth Powers is my dear friend in Kansas. She is an award winning quilter and her quilts are available, if they haven't already sold. There are two of her pieces in the TCQC.

Posted by Picasa


5 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

Burlingame Fire is a striking quilt. What a desolate feeling it evokes. The straight-line piecing is used to make such realistic images -- I am astounded.
I think the watch was a fussy cut scrap from an appropriate fabric.

Christine Thresh said...

I may have named the wrong quilt, but my comments were about the last one.

Ruth Powers said...

Christine's right The watch is pieced and was cut from an old Millenium fabric of clocks.

The photo was shadowy around his face
so that was hard. To me, he had a look of desperation, but I later found out that he was on his cell phone calling for backup as they did not have adequate equipment.

Patty ♣ said...

The Old Homestead was one of my favorite quilts at the show, as were the other Ruth Powers quilts!

Patty ♣ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.