Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sylvia Einstein class - Asilomar 03-18-10

Such a beautiful day! Foggy in the morning and early evening, and a little too cool to sit out in short sleeves - but what a blue sky and after the sun went down just "a little curl of California gold laying on the warm shoulder of the night". [I wrote that line more than fifty years ago, but lately I have begun to wonder if I really did, or if I read it somewhere then and just remember incorrectly. Guess that the ageing process.]

This is the view from one of my windows

And here is an enlargement. The white cylinders are protection for tiny trees they are trying to grow to replace all those that have been felled by some kind of foreign pine beetle. The deer graze all over Pacific Grove, including the Asilomar grounds and every one's yards, and they eat the new little trees that are not shielded.

Sylvia Einstein and Ruth McDowell at lunch in the dining hall.

I didn't take a picture of my project pinned up on my design board. All the pieces are cut and arranged. I'll fold up my very elegant custom board (made by my friend Mable Huseby in Mt. Vernon, WA.) and sew the blocks together after I get home.

Jeannie Spangler's project. She used the same large poppy fabric that I used, but she also made some of the large arcs from different prints and used some fine black and white prints that appear grey in the background. All of my large arcs are cut from the same poppy print.

This is Justine Lott's second project. The green leaves are important to make the composition work.

Cora Stewart's second project. She has used the same print for all her large arcs and black for the thin arcs (the blocks are not all sewn together which makes it appear that the arcs vary in width, but they do not). She has used at least half a dozen yellow and yellow green fabrics in the background.

Not all the projects are bright and outrageous. This lovely piece is by Jane Best. She has all the blocks done and is appliqueing the two large geisha ladies on top of one ring. They look so natural there - how could this quilt be any other way? Beautiful.

Nancy Cardelo brought the soft batik background fabric from home. It carries the color and softens the large arcs.

Lorette Newman has used small black-on-white prints in the background. They create a soft, varied grey ground. But when one gets up close.....

... the different motifs became visible creating interesting textures.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Corky said...

These photos are wonderful. It's fun to see the various color selections.