Sunday, August 22, 2010

Physical Therapy 08-21-10

I have had quite a bit of physical therapy over the past six or seven years. For fractured ankles (after I was out of the braces, of course), shoulder injuries, arthritic hands and, now, for my psoas muscles. If you are curious you can Google "psoas muscles" and find out more than you ever wanted to know! The reason my psoas are killing me is that I have avoided exercise for most of my life, particularly in the last twenty years. Until I started having trouble getting out of bed, going up stairs and, worst of all, driving for more than about an hour and getting out of my car at my destination. The pain is in my buns, groin and crotch and it is very strong pain. The solution is to stretch and strengthen the muscles every day until they are strong. The exercises are not hard, but there is that aversion to exercise in the way! However, pain is a great motivator, isn't it? So, I am trying to follow the routine at least once a day, if not the two times a day recommended by the therapist. I do want to go on road trips again, and walk up and down stairs like normal people do - there is Corky's need to be carried up and down now, so that is another incentive.

These instruments of torture are in use at the PTherapy office, but the only one I use is the peddling contraption in the middle with what looks like a little computer monitor sticking up. You can see out the window where my Lexus is parked, right over the back of the seat.

Here is my therapist Terry talking to another patient who is engaged in some of the same exercises I have been doing. It isn't polite, I am told, to inquire about some one's problem, but I suspect this lady has something similar to what I have. Terry helped me when I injured my shoulder last August falling down Corky's stairs. I think she is the best therapist in the office and feel luck to have her. I will go twice this coming week and then have a week off to see how well I do with just the home exercises.

Corky is here, just for tonight, and he is completely disgusted that I am still up at this frightful hour. Guess I had better get to bed so he won't be angry with me tomorrow. Gosh, just like being married!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Del, I also am on first name basis with my physical therapist. I have found that if I do the exercises before getting out of bed, I am more likely to keep at them. somehow, doing them before I am fully awake works best for me. I guess it is too early in the day for my mind to start procrastinating. Good luck. Nancy

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Hi Del, I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties. I remember you fondly from our chance meeting at QN one year, with the doggy. Do try those exercises regularly. Think of them as your ticket to some fun, not as an ordeal. Best wishes to you.