Saturday, August 28, 2010

Westside Quilters 08-28-10


What a lovely day! A new quilt guild in West Los Angeles invited me to do a program today as part of their first event - a fundraiser at the Fowler Museum followed by dessert and a glimpse of the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection in the garden of Sally Wright, the new President.


I've never done a program in a garden and such a lovely old garden it is with towering trees, lovely flowers and the most enormous hydrangea blossoms I've ever seen. The members gathered with their dessert plates and enjoyed a chance to visit.



Sally speaks to the group while standing in front of the three quilts that I hung - Joan Colvin's "Copper Tree", Jenny Bowker's "Hot Water, Dead Sea", and Dijanne Cevaal's "Banksia". I didn't see the leaf shadows on the quilts until I downloaded this image - interesting. They had requested a shortened program, so I only took seventeen quilts, instead of 30 or so. Hanging a few quilts gives the audience something to look at before the program starts, and when I attend programs it is always a treat to look at some one's work close up. Joan's quilt shows her use of twisted strips of fabric to give texture to her trees and Dijanne's fabulous quilting with rayon thread needs to be seen to be believed. Jenny's quilt is hanging to provide a chance to admire the piecing perfection she can achieve.
Lovely ladies, some of whom I have met previously at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar.
We are so fortunate in SCalifornia to have so many quilt guilds, activities and fellow quilters close by - it just depends on how far and how long one is willing to drive. In low traffic times this guild is about an hour northwest of my house - just as Surfside is about an hour to the southeast.
I was so impressed by these cupcakes topped with an edible image of the new guild logo. A really clever idea.
Thanks to all the Westside Quilters who welcomed me and my friend Liz Williams today, you were a great audience.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Corky said...

This looks like a great new guild. It isn't too far from where I lived when I was in SoCal. I am jealous of a place where a meeting could be held outside in August. Here in SC we can barely walk outside to our cars without melting from the heat/humidity! I miss CA (the bay area even more than SoCal)

Rayna said...

And I'm sure you were a great program! You are indeed lucky to have such a variety of guilds and quilt-related activities there.

Sally Gould Wright Textile Artist said...

Thanks so much Del! We so much enjoyed having you at our first event! I'll pass on your compliments about the garden to my husband. It's his domain....
Sally Wright