Monday, October 18, 2010

More PIQF 10-18-10

I will continue posting images from PIQF 2010 through this week. Most of the pictures were taken by Mary Leakey, but some by other friends. I did not go to Santa Clara this year - bummer!
For a list of all the winners go to: http://www.quiltfest.com/activities_detail.asp?id=56




Notice that it says this quilt was MACHINE PIECED. Pretty amazing job. I wonder if it is paper pieced? Maybe I will try to contact Linda Hibbert and ask her. I Googled her name and find that she has a company that sells her paper- pieced patterns and the images on this quilt are for sale as patterns. Her website is: http://www.silverliningsoriginals.com/




I wish that PIQF would include techniques on their labels. I have no idea how this original design was created - painted, perhaps?

The pictures I can find of the label on the quilt below are unreadable, however someone has sent me the wording:
"This quilt is all about the simple magic of discovery.102 different fabrics were hand appliqued to create the landscape.For now it exists in my mind, but I expect to find it someday.
Hand applique, machine quilted, original design."
Kathy's website is a mine of information. http://www.kathymcneilquilts.com/
Natural Wonders by Kathy McNeil
The Bernina 1st Runner-Up Award (to Best of Show)
I haven't heard of this award before - seems odd, sort of like the Miss America contest! But it is a gorgeous quilt, wish I had seen it in-the-fabric.


There is a lot of embellishment with shells and beads on the rocks.


Again, very realistic. The cobblestones are wonderful. I understand the hardware on the door is metal.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Mary Leakey said...

I believe that Sandy Curran's, "The Wave" is painted whole cloth. The shadow at the top is a result of the way the quilt is hung. It's not really that dark. Couldn't get near the sign on Kathy McNeill's beautiful quilt as there were so many people chatting with the artist when I took the picture. Mary Leakey

Suzanne Kistler said...

Hi Del!

I, too, was fascinated by "The Wave." We were sure it was painted whole cloth. There were no signs of piecing, all of the texture came from the quilting.

Walk in the Woods was great. The artist also worked on the "Birds in the Woods" quilt that I showed on my blog. I believe that quilt identified itself as paper-pieced.
The skunks' tails were wonderful!

Del said...

I've added a note to yesterday's Blog saying that I Googled Linda Hibbert and found that she has a paper pieceing pattern company:
www.silverliningsoriginals.com/
and all of the images in the "Walk in the Woods" quilt are patterns available from her website. I know that if I had seen the quilt in-the-fabric I would have known they are ppieced. Boo Hoo, again!

Corky said...

Del, did I miss something? I don't see a photo of Walk in the Woods.

Meggie said...

Thankyou so much for sharing all these wonderful quilts with us!